Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mac Mini up and running, but doesn't like the virtual driver for window 7

So now for something a bit more techie based - Ya you all say. (Just to note; I will be cutting a video using iMovie - reason why later - an posting on YouTube and blog later, so be warned :-) )

So, not sure if I said but I sold my old Mac Pro I had as it took up a bit of space I needed and I found that software I was running such as Final Cut Pro 7 was only multi-core aware so wasn't using to capability. I opted  to use the cash to buy a new Mac Mini - went for the new 2011 model i5 2.5Ghz one with the ATI graphics. Specs are standard so go check out on Apple site if curious. Though as a side note I will be getting 8Gb of crucial memory and changing next month - vastly cheaper than getting with machine.

Anyhow, so.. A single i5 at 2.5Ghz should be faster than a Xeon 3Ghz from 2006 in my believe (and I presume in facts too) so I will be looking to get quicker renders in FCP7... That is, when I get it installed. Which brings me to the title of this blog update.

So, following the instructions from Apple I downloaded the share utility and ran on my Windows7 PC.. Ok, removed the ask permission button to make easier. So I go back to my Mac and see drive in the virtual drive list - perfect so far.

Next step, I put in my FCP7 (first DVD of FCS3) and can see update on disk list with name. Double click icon to open it, wait..wait..wait.. and then I get error basically saying can't read. Typical. Anyhow; prompted  me to go onto ebay and buy a USB External drive (not an Apple one) and I managed to get a USB combo bluray and dvd writer for like 30GBP which was excellent. So just waiting for that now.

Anyhow, this doesn't excuse the issue that I have had with this virtual drive. I haven't checked my other software like MS Office and AE CS3 but has anyone experienced the last of being able to use their PC as a virtual drive?

Anyhow, look out for video that will be done in iMovie hehe..

As a P.S. note - I have to say that I am impressed so far with this little powerhorse of a machine. OK, most of last night was spent with update but its quite and seemed to be performing well in the things I was doing. One of which is in the P.S.S next..

P.S.S. Not going to keep secret here. So those of you that have seen my video reviews saw that some time ago I did a review on Flux3. Flux4 has now come out and I have now as a first item install on my Mac Mini a review copy of this. so look out for this coming in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment