Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Are computer games recreational?

Can we consider computer games as a recreational task? I mean, to do so you tend to sit on your bum in front of a TV or computer monitor. Some of these games are action packed and can get your heart rate up, some are a little slower. But in the end the person playing is merely sitting down and not doing anything you may think of as actual recreation.

Maybe in the future we will have games you take out and walk, run, etc. I mean; modern day games have progressed to the gamers entire body being used in some games with the latest and greatest Kinect technology. I myself has played games for many years, before it was considered fun and cool to do so. Back since around 1981 or so when I had the ZX81  (my first computer) and even before with Atari 2600. Pacman was the best.

Back then it was considered very uncool to play games, only nerds and strange persons who didn't like daylight played apparently. That said; I would say maybe 2% of my recreation was done by playing these games with 98% being outside doing as young boys do.. Or rather did as don't think many do that these days.

So, even though I was one of those strange uncool people that did play games (you said under breath) and often swapped my C64 games in the playground of school (so many years ago can hardly remember - around 29 I believe) I don't really consider computer games as proper recreational activities. I believe that kids and adults can and should play in moderation but with the greater percentage done outside.

Here's a thought. Buy a cheaper video camera. Get some software for you PC. Go out, shoot video. Cut and edit and post it up to YouTube. You've both got out for exercise and had your computer fix.I do; or least try to. Infact we have a short video coming out soon with me running around like lunatic - probably to the amusement of the passers by.

By the way, this isn't a rant. I am a gamer myself so have nothing against it. Just kids, go out and play for a while.. burn off those sweets.. give you quicker responses...

No comments:

Post a Comment