Thursday, February 2, 2012

O to be younger with todays games

I'm not moaning before I start this :-)  Reason I say this is that currently 41 and I do love to play a good FPS like Battfield 3 or Modern Warefare 3. I don't have lots of game time, maybe an hour a day if lucky. But I tend to do alright, usually ranking in the upper midway  up to number 1 in some cases. But I must admit that my reactions as I got older have slowed a little. I know that if I were in my late teens or early 20's I would be ranking much higher so this is the reason of my title :-)

Now to address the "Didn't you blog about games the other day" comments hehe. Yes, although this is a different subject to that. This is more about my history and how I saw the progression of FPS games. Some of you may not know or remember some of these but you can be forgiven.

So, in my late teens and early 20's computer games weren't up to the standard of today; or rather they were of equivalent standard as todays but at that date. Games I were playing were like "Turrican", "Strider 2", "The Killing Game Show", "Shadow of the Beast" and many others. There were race games such as "Lotus" but in my gaming life I developed a love for Flight Sims.

Now, when I say flight sims I am not talking say Flight Simulators. Now, we're talking things like F117A, F19, F16 and many of them. These were flight games where the objective was to blow the crap out of a number of objects. Many of these games (if not all the good ones) were released by a company called MicroProse if you wanted to go and check them out.

In my eye's these games were the FPS games of their time. They were played by the bigger number and you basically went out and from a first person perspective shot your different weapons at the targets. I do believe that these were the first FPS games (even if in a virtual plane).

Then in 1992 Wolfenstein 3D was officially release and its been a constant since then. So, Wolf3D followed by Doom was my route. Then there were others such as "Rise of the Triad" which I thought was better in most ways than say Doom and later Quake. Duke Nukem 3D next and this was the first game I multi-played using a BT system called Wireplay. Basically it was similar to a BBS where you dialed in and connected to a game. Of course you had a phone bill to pay so tried not to stay on much.

Quake was the first game I played multi-player over a network back in 1997. Working in my first role we used to play it lunchtime; that and "Command and Conquer : Red Aleft". This was probably the end of my peak of reactions as in my late 20's. Its also the first time I learnt to play with the mouse as up to that point keys were favored. Well Quake was 3D environment over the 2D Doom.

Anyhows, getting back to it. Kind of a blur of games at that point as we moved at some point into Unreal and Halflife and many more. But bringing us into the last 10 years. After Halflife my gaming kind of was just get the next one but no real passion until Battlefield 1942. Now there was a FPS even with all its bugs. Some great addon packs - makes me think shall I install again tonight..

The rest is history as they say going through each Call of Duty and Battlefield game as they came out up until today. Still many I have not played in my collection.. Maybe one day.

So there you have it, a bit of a babble and waffle on my gaming experience and thoughts. As I say if I were to have the reactions I had back when playing Strider 2 as an example I'd say look out but now settle for the mid board   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment